Jasper-Pulaski/NW Indiana Tours
November 16-17, 2019
December 3-4, 2019
$300 single occupancy, $250 double occupancy
Join IndiGo Birding for a trip to northwest Indiana to see the huge Sandhill Crane gathering at Jasper-Pulaski FWA that happens each fall and visit one of Indiana’s great restoration projects–Kankakee Sands Nature Preserve. This is a two-day (one overnight) tour from Bloomington, but we can meet you along the way or at one of the sites, whichever is most convenient. We will visit some of the best places in Indiana for late fall birding that should result in quite a bird list!
– Depart Bloomington at 7:30 a.m. Drive to West Lafayette to enjoy the diversity of waterfowl at Celery Bog.
– Lunch at Cafe Literato in West Lafayette.
– Drive to Kankakee State FWA, another birding hotspot in NW Indiana.
– Arrive at Jasper-Pulaski FWA in plenty of time to fully witness the arrival of thousands of Sandhill Cranes preparing to roost for the night.
– Check in to the Baymont Inn & Suites in Rensselaer.
– Dinner at The Farmhouse Restaurant.
– After breakfast in the hotel, drive to visit Kankakee Sands Nature Preserve, the huge Nature Conservancy prairie restoration project that is home to Indiana’s only wild bison herd and plenty of birds. We will spend the morning touring and hiking different places on the preserve.
– Possible stops on the drive back to Bloomington include the Pine Creek Gamebird Habitat Area and Prophetstown State Park.
– Reynolds Creek birding late afternoon (just our group)
– Arrive in Bloomington around 6:00 p.m.
For transportation, effort will be made to include pick-up at your home if you live along the route from Bloomington, through Indianapolis, to West Lafayette. If you don’t live along the route, then personal arrangements will be made for a meeting point. A $100 deposit is needed at the time of registration and can be made on the Public Tours page on this site. After November 1st the $100 deposit is non-refundable. The balance is due via personal check at the start of the tour. We will travel in most weather conditions, but if I do cancel the trip all money will be refunded. Hope you can join!
Check back later for future trips to Goose Pond like this one:
Goose Pond Weekend
February 16-18, 2019
Join IndiGo Birding guide David Rupp for a weekend full of birding at Goose Pond Fish and Wildlife Area in western Greene County, Indiana. Goose Pond is one of the premier birding destinations in the Midwest, and this weekend event is scheduled to coincide with the arrival of large numbers of Sandhill Cranes. David will be leading excursions from 3-7 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and 7:30-11:30 a.m. on Sunday and Monday mornings, each to a different location. Participants are encouraged to book lodging at the Pleasant Grove Inn, which will also serve as our meeting spot. Either sign up for the whole weekend, which is only $100 and includes transportation from Bloomington if desired, or register for specific “Meet There” tour(s) for $30/adult or $20/child. See the schedule below for details about each “Meet There” Tour. All tours will be limited to 10 people. The timing should be perfect for large numbers of cranes, raptors, and maybe even some owls as well!
If you have an idea for another tour in mind, please contact me. I am always looking for new offerings that appeal to my guests.